At the various shows I have attended, there
has always been someone who would like to switch to tubular wishbones
from the traditional Cortina pressed steel type. Here are my experiences
and method of doing the switch. Please note that any dimensions
are approximate and it was very much a try it, fit it, undo it,
fit it again, undo it again before finally getting it right. Exactly
in line with the spirit of Locust building. Remember not to cut
anything off the chassis unless you are really sure.
For information, the suspension bushes are Cortina
mark 4. The top ball joint is Ford Transit Van mark 2 and the bottom
ball joint is again Cortina mark 4.
One complex job was to get the wheels upright
and allowing for adjustment of the transit top ball joint. There
seems to be no end of different Ford chassis' out there, so really
take time to measure up and trial fit before you get past the point
of no return. The work I had to do to get things right may be completely
different to what you need to do.
Unfortunately I bought the wishbone set with
dampers / springs from T & J Locust as a package. So I have no clue
as to the Spax size or spring rate. I would expect other club members
may be able to shed some light.
First job, cut off the Cortina spring mounting
plate with my favourite tool an angle grinder. I cut off the excess
square section tubing where the Cortina mounting plate was fixed,
this was tidied up with an end plate.
The tubes, which were welded in for the top
Cortina wishbone mount were cut off - I used this hole to bolt the
spax shocker top location.
I then drilled through & welded in a length
of tubing one inch inwards - this is the new location for the wishbone.
Some of you will be aware that the weld around the tubing is prone
to cracking, I added a triangular shaped brace either side as extra
Out with the angle grinder again cutting off
the Cortina tie bar mounts on the bottom chassis rails. I then measured
the gap between the two brackets (A & B) forming the original Cortina
The rear wishbone bracket (A) was cut off and
a new bracket (C) welded on in front of the remaining bracket (B)
using braces (D) welded onto the front chassis rail. Now the tricky
bit, with the bushes fitted to the wishbone I bolted the forward
leg in between (B & C) which enabled me to weld bracket (F) in place.
Bracket (E) was then similarly welded using the same spacing as
between (B & C). Doddle!
Seems as clear as mud to me, I can't believe
it but it all works well and it did pass the SVA test.
If anybody needs any more info, give me a ring
on 01325 358731 or e-mail me at: - firstname.lastname@example.org